Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Magic Of An Airplane


What is this song that an airplane sings
to my heart upon the wind?
What is this drawing upon my soul
by this siren made of tin?

From whence this spell
which makes me see
airfoils, wing shapes, and engine nacelles
when ere my mind is free?

And what makes me stop and stare
with every skyward pass
until it is gone? And every time,
be saddened that it did not last.

​Perhaps it is the shape,
sculpted by the wind.
Function and beauty sweetly expressed
in a rare and perfect blend.

Or maybe it's those larkish stripes,
the promise of movements yet unmade,
so that even while it merely stands,
still, it seems to fly away.

Or is the magic from flight, itself,
when wings rise up to spoof the earth
but then return to kiss her softly 
and plan tomorrow's mirth?

No - I think an airplane's magic
must surely flow from rhythms deep
which bid my spirit, "Go aloft!
​and know sweet freedom's highest peak."

  ~ P. Davis